From: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) digest
[tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu]
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:00 PM
To: tips digest recipients
Subject: tips digest: November 07, 2015

TIPS Digest for Saturday, November 07, 2015.

1. Illusion?
2. Re: Illusion?
3. Re: Illusion?
4. Re: Illusion?
5. RE: Illusion?
6. RE: Illusion?
7. Re: Illusion?

Subject: Illusion?
From: Jim Matiya <jmat...@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:39:14 -0600

Has anyone on the list ever seen this illusion. A student submitted as a an
example...but I have never seen it before.  I am a little slow, can anyone see
the figure-ground illusion?

I have attached the picture

JIm
retired from FGCU

Jim Matiya

Too often we underestimate
 the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest
compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the
potential to turn a life around...Leo Buscaglia

  :) I was addicted to the Hokey-Pokey, but I turned myself around....  :)

Are we all too embarrassed?   Okay, I'll try to overcome pluralistic ignorance.
 Don't see a figure-ground illusion.
Beth Benoit
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire

Sent from my iPhone

From: Christopher Green <chri...@yorku.ca>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 20:34:39 -0500

By "figure ground illusion" I take it you mean an "ambiguous" or multi stable
figure, like the duck-rabbit? No, I do not see anything recognizable when I try
to force the white into figure here.

Chris
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON   M3J 1P3
43.773759, -79.503722

chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo

From: Carol <devoldercar...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 19:35:44 -0600

Me neither. I tried squinting, turning it upside down, and blurring my vision.
I need at least a hint.

From: Stuart McKelvie <smcke...@ubishops.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 02:47:48 +0000

I, too, do not see an ambiguous figure with two interpretations.

Why does Jim not ask his student what is supposed to be there?

Stuart

chri...@yorku.ca<mailto:chri...@yorku.ca>
[...]

leave-47290-430248.781165b5ef80a3cd2b14721caf62b...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-47290-430248.781165b5ef80a3cd2b14721caf62b...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
<illusion.docx>

---

You are currently subscribed to tips as:
smcke...@ubishops.ca<mailto:smcke...@ubishops.ca>.

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13510.2cc18398df2e6692fffc29a610cb72e3&n=T&l=tips&o=47292

leave-47292-13510.2cc18398df2e6692fffc29a610cb7...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-47292-13510.2cc18398df2e6692fffc29a610cb7...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>

From: Jim Clark <j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 02:49:23 +0000

Add me to those who do not see a reverse figure!

Jim

Jim Clark
Professor & Chair of Psychology
University of Winnipeg
204-786-9757
Room 4L41A (4th Floor Lockhart)
www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark<http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark>

[...]

j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca<mailto:j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca>.

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a891720c9&n=T&l=tips&o=47294

leave-47294-13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a89172...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-47294-13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a89172...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>

From: Steven Hall <mrstev...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 18:56:24 -0800

More like an example of closure to me. But if I try hard I can see an "A."
 (I blacked out the other stuff.) The head still lingers in my "top down"
mind.

Steven Hall
Butte College
CSU-Chico