Yesterday, I read a Mind Hacks post by Tom Stafford on ‘Brain Training’ titled
“A gold-standard study on brain training”
(http://mindhacks.com/2015/11/05/a-gold-standard-study-on-brain-training/). My
students sometimes ask about ‘brain training’, so I read the post and then
ordered and downloaded the research article by Corbett, Owen, Hampshire, et al.
(2015) it discussed.

The research question: can online cognitive training (CT) help to prevent
dementia and maintain cognitive functioning in adults >50 years of age?

The procedures used to answer this question are, as you might suspect, somewhat
intricate. The protocol is online here:
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ioppn/depts/wolfson/about/people/staff/Protocol1.aspx

I’ll provide a highly abridged version of the methods and discussion because I
want to focus on some troubling issues that the authors seemed to minimize in
their Discussion section. (Stafford’s blog post also provides a brief summary
and critique.)

There were two treatment groups. Each received a different type of online
cognitive training (CT):
Reasoning CT: consisted of tasks such as “Select the ‘odd one out’ from 4
shapes that varied in terms of color, shape, and solidity” (p. 3).
General CT: consisted of tasks involving memory, attention, math, etc.

The “control group performed equivalent Internet-based tasks involving a game
in which people were asked to put a series of statements in correct numerical
order. Participants were invited to search the Internet to find the correct
answers. Number of completed sessions per participant was recorded as an
integrated feature in the online platform” (p. 991).

They used a randomized, double-blind design and observed the participants for
six months. At the beginning, there were 6742 participants: 3830 were 51-60
years and 2912 were >60 years

The primary outcome measure was self-reported “instrumental activities of daily
living” (IADL) in those ≥61 years (the IADL scale used is here:
https://www.abramsoncenter.org/media/1197/instrumental-activities-of-daily-living.pdf).
 Other measures of cognitive functioning were used as secondary outcome
measures in all participants.

Their discussion of the results seemed to paint a glowing picture of the
effectiveness of online CT:
* “the data clearly demonstrate a significant benefit to activities of daily
living in a group of adults older than 60 receiving both the online GCT and
ReaCT interventions compared with control” (p. 994)
* “These findings are novel and extremely valuable since it is known to be
difficult to elicit change in IADLs, particularly in a cognitively healthy
group. This impact on IADLs therefore indicates the potential for this approach
as an effective public health intervention that could improve this key measure
of independence and quality of life in older adults.” (p. 994)
* “Analysis of other cognitive outcomes in adults older than 50 also shows a
considerable generalizable impact on cognition, with substantial benefits to
reasoning and [verbal learning]L in both active CT groups at 6 months, and more
modest benefits in [spatial working memory]” (p. 994)

Etc., etc.

There are several troubling issues with this study. I’ll mention two:
(1) They “recommended” that participants train “for 10 minutes daily, although
flexibility was allowed” (p. 991). Given that there was no direct contact with
participants, there was no way for them to carefully check on and effectively
encourage compliance.
(2) They started out with almost 7000 participants; but by the end of the study
lost most of them:
Reasoning CT
                START   END     LOST
        51-60   2557    595     76.7%
        >60     1023    268     73.8%
General CT
        51-60   2432    428     82.4%
        >60     1096    243     78.8%
Control
        51-60   1753    176     90.0%
        >60     794     93      88.8%

The largest percentage of drop-outs was in the control group. They noted under
Figure 1 that “Reasons for withdrawal are not known due to the online format of
intervention and study design.” (I have a copy of Figure 1 in my dropbox here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gab8ad496hu7uq8/LOSS%20OF%20SUBJECTS.jpg?dl=0 )

That’s all I have time for. But those of you who, like me, get student
questions about brain training might want to take a closer look.

Reference
Corbett, A,, Owen, A., Hampshire, A., Grahn, J., Stenton, R., Dajani, S., et
al. (2015). The effect of an online cognitive training package in healthy older
adults: An online randomized controlled trial. Journal of Post-Acute and
Long-Term Care Medicine, 16(11), 990-997. doi:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2015.06.014
Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Social/Behavioral Sciences
Scottsdale Community College