Hi all,

I prefer to call it a “study” rather than an “experiment” (e.g., what were the
dependent variables?). But that’s an issue for another day …

I’ve been discussing the study in class this week. Now that there are so many
videos posted online—especially interviews of the researchers and participants
over a 40-year period—I can help students better understand what was going on
in the study, as well as the influence of researchers and participants on the
results and interpretations of research.

I’ve put together videos about the Stanford Prison Study (SPS) using clips from
several sources. I found Christina Maslach’s role to be of particular interest
because, even though Haney and Zimbardo stated that they became more and more
disturbed by the “breakdowns” experienced by prisoners, it seemed that they had
no intention of ending the study …. not until Maslach threatened to end her
relationship with Zimbardo.

I put together a short video of Zimbardo talking about the unnamed “graduate
student” who made him aware that the prisoners were suffereing (a clip taken
from Quiet Rage) folowed by Maslach and Zimbardo giving a more complete account
of how the study finally came to an end (from a 2012 BBC documentary … I
think—I need to double-check that source). The video is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x15qpmyacpitkm8/Maslach%20Ends%20SPS.mp4?dl=0

Jeff

P.S. Yes, I know, I need to learn how to edit videos. I’m working on it.
Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Social/Behavioral Sciences
Scottsdale Community College
9000 E. Chaparral Road