> On Jan 6, 2016, at 5:29 PM, Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>

> (2) However, in spite of BSS not being a valid category until 1980,
> the list of NMS laureates in the list linked to below has as its
> first entry in this category as Neal Miller in 1964.  Skinner comes
> in 1968.  However, Neal Miller is officially in BSS while Skinner
> is in "Biological Sciences" (note the footnote in the Wiki list).
> IMHO, I think the NSF got it backwards for these two
>

> -Mike Palij
> New York University
> m...@nyu.edu <mailto:m...@nyu.edu>

Hi Mike:

Respectfully, I disagree with your assessment.  Skinner’s dissertation was
concerned with the definition of “reflex” which he concluded was best
considered as a reliable correlation between stimulus and response.  Both
Lorenz and Tinbergen followed very similar paths (i.e., Fixed Action Patterns;
although Tinbergen was much more concerned with mechanism).

Skinner, as far as I can tell, always considered himself a whole-organism
biologist, as distinct from a reductionist biologist.  He was closer to field
ecology and eschewed slice and dice anatomy.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
<mailto:steel...@appstate.edu>
Professor