Hi all,

I came upon an article on the Mozart Effect that was published last year in the
“British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research.” I didn’t read it, but
noticed immeediately that the article was full of grammatical errors. It seemed
very likely that the journal was the product of a predatory publisher—a topic
that came up here recently.

I forgot to mention then (and probably many of you already know) that, each
year, Jeffrey Beall posts on his blog, Scholarly Open Access, a list of
publishers that he considers to be predatory based on several criteria he’s
developed over time. He recently published the 2016 list and has links to it
and other material in his January 5th blog post:
http://scholarlyoa.com/2016/01/05/bealls-list-of-predatory-publishers-2016/

And yes, the publisher of the British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research,
ScienceDomain International, is on Beall’s list of predatory publishers:
http://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/

For those who want to take a gander at the article, I provide the reference and
abstract below.

Best,
Jeff

Reference
Verrusio, W., Moscucci, F., Cacciafesta, M., & Gueli, N. (2015). Mozart Effect
and its clinical applications: A review. British Journal of Medicine and
Medical Research, 8(8), 639-650.
pdf here: http://tinyurl.com/hyg76ou

ABSTRACT
Recent research efforts examining the effects on the brain of listening to
music have discovered that music, with specific characteristics, is able to
improve cognitive and learning capacity. Recent studies have demonstrated that
music, in particular some musical compositions (such as those of W. A. Mozart
and J. S. Bach), has a notable role not only in cognitive disturbances, but
also in the treatment of several syndromes and diseases, either by
rehabilitating or by stimulating cerebral synaptic plasticity. The Mozart
Effect was described for the first time in 1993. Subsequently, other studies
with similar designs were made. This review summarizes the recent scientific
literature on the Mozart Effect. More studies are needed, in order to define
specific protocols in which music helps clinicians in recuperating patients and
in improving their quality of life.
Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Social/Behavioral Sciences
Scottsdale Community College