No argument here.  Just me not being clear.

A' and AUC are valid measures comparing two systems and much more interpretable
than other SDT measures given the parameters as Mike explains but they are not
direct measures of SDT parameters as typically explains.  Pastore, Crawley,
Berens and Skelly (2003) present a good discussion of the issues including the
advantages and disadvantages of A'.  Specifically, A' is not independent from
bias and is actually a poorer estimate when performance is nearer to perfect in
terns of hits or false alarms.   For the 3 of us who care about this issue,
estimates of d' aren't much good in those extremes either.  Macmillan and
Creelman (1991) suggest adjusting hit rates of 100% to 1-(1/2n) an false alarm
rates to 1/2n and I don't have any reason to doubt that I just don't see it
used very often.

The use of the sensitivity/specificity reporting doesn't capture both the
sensitive and response bias as explained in SDT examples (i.e.g, estimate of
the distance between the two distributions (I believe this the reason that this
entry is clear to distinguish the sensitivity index, called d' as something
different from sensitivity as true positives).  The two approaches might be
considered two sides of the same coin but they are not the same side of the
same coin.

Macmillan, N.A., & Creelman, C.D. (1991). Detection Theory: A User’s Guide. NY:
Cambridge
University Press.

Pastore, R.E., Crawley, E.J., Berens, M.S., & Skelley, M.A.  (2003).
"Nonparametirc" A' and other modern misconceptions about signal detection
theory. Psychonomic Builletin and Review, 10(3), 556-569.

Doug Peterson, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychology
The University of South Dakota
Vermillion SD 57069