I am having a bit of a hard time this year answering questions about bottom up
processing.

Student question: How can it be truly bottom up if it requires a comparison to
a stored image? Isn't that like top-down? You use the stored image to recognize
what it is that is coming in. How are these actually different?

I did have a response but I want to withhold it from here so not to bias

Student question: Is there any real life example of people using template
models of pattern recognition? If not, why did they even get developed as
models of human pattern recognition?

My answer here was really lame, IMHO so I am looking for a better one but as
above, don't want to bias responses.

Maybe I'm particular brain dead that these two stumped me.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences
University of San Diego