Dear Friends,

You may recall that back in September I announced a new online game in which
you and your students get to choose which people of the past have had the
greatest impact on psychology. Now that we are well into a new semester, I am
reminding teachers who whose students now know enough about the discipline of
psychology that they will have grounded opinions about who has been most
important.

You can find the game here: http://elo.sha.nemart.in.

Of the 400+ individuals included in our list, the current Top 10 are:
1. B. F. Skinner
2. William James
3. Sigmund Freud
4. Jean Piaget
5. Ivan Pavlov
6. John B Watson
7. Wilhelm Wundt
8. Charles Darwin
9. Albert Bandura
10. Harry Harlow

Play is extremely simple: The player is shown a pair of significant individuals
from the past and asked to click on the name of the person who had the greatest
impact on the psychology. If the player needs to refresh his/her knowledge of
the figures, there is a short description of their important career highlights,
along with a link to their Wikipedia entry. As soon as the player clicks on one
of the two names, s/he is shown a new pair to choose from.

The educational aspect of the game is that having to choose between
historically significant individuals will encourage students to read (at least
little) about a wide range of important figures with whom they may currently be
unfamiliar.

Players can play the game for as long as they like, as often as they like,
whenever they like. They can quit at any time (though they might find it a
little addictive). At the bottom of the page, they will find "top ten” lists
that have been compiled from the tens of thousands of choices that they and
others have made. (Click on the “Ratings” menu tab and they’ll find the
complete list of ranking, along with some specialized top ten lists, including
one for women psychologists.)

As well as a game, this is also a research project for us: the PsyBorgs Digital
History of Psychology Laboratory at York University in Toronto. When starting
the game for the first time, the player is asked three optional demographic
questions, and there is a consent form to be “ticked” if the player is willing
to allow his/her data to be anonymously included in the research project.
(This project has been approved by the York University Office of Research
Ethics.) If the player would prefer to skip all that and go straight to the
game, that is fine as well — s/he can go directly to the first matchup.

PLEASE SPREAD THE NEWS! To your students!  To your colleagues! To anyone who
might be interested! Obviously those with an interest in the history of
psychology will like the game more, but we are aiming to include as many
different kinds of people as possible to play it. The more the merrier!

Happy playing!
Chris
…..
Christopher D Green