From: Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:12:26 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Cc: Michael Palij
Subject: [tips] The Longest Running Scientific Experiments, Part Uno

A website known as Atlas Obscura has articles on a variety of
offbeat topics and one was published yesterday was on the
longest running scientific experiments.  Here is the link to
the article:
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/guide-longest-science-experiments
NOTE: only two psychology-ish studies are included: look for
the "Human Speechdome Project" (source of a petabyte of
home video) and "Laboratory of Adult Development" that
includes some of the work done at Harvard as well as
Michael Apted's documentary "Up" series (Apted also
directed a James Bond film; I leave it as an exercise for
the interested read to find out which one).

For comparison's sake, the journal "Nature" had a similar
article a couple of years ago but focused on only five studies;
see:
http://www.nature.com/news/long-term-research-slow-science-1.12623
NOTE: This article includes the Lewis Terman study of "genius"
at Stanford which started circa 1921 -- I think this might qualify
as the oldest ongoing scientific research study in psychology
but if anyone knows of another older one (I'm looking at you
Chris Green -- others are also invited), I think people would
be interested in learning about it.

In keeping with recent events, I believe that research involving
H.M. also qualifies as one of the longest research studies in
psychology (though those dirty cognitive neuroscientists might
claim he's all theirs ;-).

I know it's the beginning of the semester for most (all?) of us
but maybe someone could put together a Top Ten List of the
Longest Running Studies in Psychology for fun and giggles.
Might contain a surprise or two.

Sidenote:  one of the longest running studies identified in both
studies are the agricultural studies done at the Rothamsted
agricultural research station in England.  They have been doing
work there since 1843.  What is of additional significance is,
if my memory is working properly, Sir Ronald Fisher got one
of his first jobs here and one of his first tasks was to analyze
the decades of data that had been collected but not seriously
analyzed.  I believe this is where Fisher developed the Analysis
of Variance (ANOVA) here and what was known as the Fisher
z-test (later F test, courtesy of Snedecor 1934) and the intraclass
correlation.

You are currently subscribed to tips as: wsc...@wooster.edu.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13058.902daf6855267276c83a639cbb25165c&n=T&l=tips&o=49420