So, I get this message from a mid-western professor criticizing me as
being an "impractical, emotional, dreamy eccentric."  I don't think she meant
that as a compliment.  Nor was one of her other comments.  She asked me one
question.  It was: "Really!  What does love have to do with the classroom.?'

        My answer began with "Everything.  Let me you an example of the impact
of what you call my impractical eccentricity of which I was unaware until this
past July.   And, I assure you, it was not isolated."

        It was last July 3rd.   I had taken my visiting grand-daughter to an
ersatz fireworks stand in a Walmart parking lot to get her some sparklers for
the 4th.  From behind the counter came an exclaiming "Dr. Schmier!"  Billy (not
his real name) was a student in one of the classes I taught the last semester
before my retirement.  That would be Fall, 2012.  Here, 3 1/2 years later, he
says to me, "That was some class.  I always think of it.  And, I think of you
as my mentor.  You know what really impressed me?

        Before I could offer an answer, he continued with something like:  "You
saw me and each one of us in that class.  I don't know how you did it, but you
made each of us feel important to you;  you welcomed each of us in that class
no matter what our grades were.  That was from the first minute we met you and
shook hands at the door on the first day of class and every day during the
semester.  The 'getting' to know ya' and 'how it works' exercises were
something else.  They sure put us more at ease than any other regular class.
And, those daily journals we had to write to you.  Wow!  I know we all thought
at first that was useless busy work, until we realized you actually read every
word each of us wrote each day.  When someone asked you why you read them, you
answered so you could get to know each of us and how you could help us help
ourselves become more than we thought we were.  Do you now how quickly after
that most us were never to busy to write to you because you showed us you were
never too busy for any of us.  That was something.  So, I trusted you and let
out a lot I had held in and kept to myself, and let you take me out of my
comfort zone with all those hands-on projects and private talks, and show me
what I really had in me and how much more was there.  But, you know what I
remember most?"

        "No," I quietly answered.

        "You remember the last three words you said us on the last day of that
class and you left up with saying about donuts and holes?"

        Before I could answer, he said, "I don't know how you did it, but we
all, all of us, felt not only that you noticed us, but that we each was your
favorite student.  It sure challenged us.  If scared some of us.  It made some
of us almost fearless.  That's why you were able to make a difference, at
least, in my life.  You said to us as if you were talking to each of us, 'I
love you.'  In fact, since we were the last class on the last day before you
retired, they were last three words of your career.  You thought you were
summing up that class, but I think you unthinkingly summed your teaching
career.  I never forgot that.  If you could love me, if you could have faith in
me, if you could have hope for, I had to find ways to love myself, to believe
in myself, to have faith in myself, and to have hope for myself.  You helped me
to find the guts to go into the unknown and make taking risks comfortable.
I've used that and those three words in every class since, and think of you a
lot.  Because of you, love won in all the small moments.  Boy, it got me over
some rough spots.  Anytime I want to stop, I thought of you and went on.  And,
did it start me out on a great trip.  I decided to take a leap and go into
AROTC.  December, I'm graduating.  I'm going to be an officer!  Me!!  I would
never have thought it possible if it wasn't for you.  I'd be honored if you
would attend my graduation because I owe it all to you."

        I slowly whispered, "Thank you,  But, you owe it all to you.  I only
helped you look into the right places.  It was you who saw what you have never
seen before and took the risk to bring it to the surface and use it."

        I paid for the sparklers and gave him my email address for him to send
the invitation.  If I'm in town, I'll certainly go.

        Yeah, "love won in the small moments."  I like that.  It's a great
answer to this professor's question.

        More later.

Make it a good day

-Louis-

Louis Schmier
http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org
203 E. Brookwood Pl                         http://www.therandomthoughts.com
Valdosta, Ga 31602
(C)  229-630-0821                             /\   /\  /\                 /\
 /\
                                                      /^\\/  \/   \   /\/\__
/   \  /   \
                                                     /     \/   \_ \/ /   \/