I had very mixed reactions to the article.  I don't grade on curve and never
will. Yet my introductory psychology exam scores fit one pretty nicely and have
over the past several years (after an adjustment based on item analysis - that
isn't complex but also isn't my point).

The end result is that an A isn't the most common grade in my class and I hear
about it from students (and sometimes administrators).  I agree that every
student should have the opportunity for mastery but the author asserts that
mastery = A.  It doesn't and it shouldn't. I'm opposed to grade inflation for
some academic integrity reason, I'm opposed to it because I think grade
inflation is what is causing all of the stress, anxiety and problems that
plague college students.  I am perfectly comfortable sending a student who
earned a C in introductory psychology into an advanced psychology course.

Can C ever be considered mastery?  Should it? Would reducing the expectation of
perfection reduce stress?  I'm interested in hearing others views on this,
because I can see both sides and I appreciate the wise voices of others.

Doug

Doug Peterson, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychology
The University of South Dakota