From: Frigo, Lenore [mailto:lfr...@shastacollege.edu]
Sent: April-07-17 8:43 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Teaching stats and Critical Values Tables

For those of you who teach lower-division introduction to research methods (or
have an opinion on what we SHOULD be teaching at that level):

In teaching students how to interpret statistical results, such as a t-test, do
you think it's important to have them find the critical value on a table and
proceed from there, or just start with a "print out" of the results that would
already include the actual p value?

Currently I have them work with the table, but it seems old-fashioned and
unnecessarily cumbersome. On the other hand, using the table forces them to
perhaps have a bit more conceptual understanding of what they are doing.

All input and opinions most welcome,
-Lenore

Lenore Frigo
lfr...@shastacollege.edu