Annette,

The bit of research I've conducted comparing these two types of amnesia
suggests that they often occur simultaneously, though one is usually more
serious than the other.  Also, there is a considerable variations within
both types of amnesia.  This leads me to conclude that to compare the
rates of the two types of amnesia is a more complex and challenging goal
than one might think.

However, I came across a fascinating piece of research relative to how the
concussions experienced by football players measurably impact their
incidences of retrograde amnesia as compared to anterograde amnesia.  The
research was conducted by Robert Cantu, the original physician who
discovered and named the brain deterioration he discovered after
conducting an autopsy of Mike Webster and then football players to follow.

His research was conducted in 2001 and published in the Journal of
Athletic Training. The title is:  Posttraumatic Retrograde and Anterograde
Amnesia: Pathophysiology and Implications in Grading and Safe Return to
Play.  The entire article is available at no cost.

Cantu recommends that the measurement of both types of amnesia should be
conducted regularly among football players to determine how much brain
trauma they have experienced to date.  Sounds like an excellent idea
versus waiting to conduct an autopsy after the player's death as well as
having experienced the tragic symptoms of serious cognitive deficits.

One has to wonder why this isn't this being done today in the NFL.  Or
maybe one doesn't have to wonder . . .

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu

PS I responded to your post on PSYCHTEACHER but they take so long!

> I've been trying to find some statistical data on the relative prevalence
> of retro versus anterograde amnesia and have had no luck :-(
>
> I have taught in the past that anterograde is more common but I'm not so
> sure about that. It is certainly more devastating in terms of human
> functioning, but is it more prevalent?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Annette
>

> Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.