I have always struggled to determine where to draw the line between plagiarism
and general knowledge.  The general view in South Africa is that you do not
have to use a reference if the information has become general knowledge.  In
other words,  According to Freud the psyche consists of the id, ego and
superego   or   Watson was an American psychologist  does not need a reference.

However, it often gets tricky.  Allow me to use a pretty naive example (my
apologies):

*  Columbus arrived in America in 1492.  I assume every American knows this,
but probably less than 0,001% of South Africans do.  Does it mean that South
Africans have to use a reference but not Americans?  My family and I spent some
time in the US and I therefore knew it.  Am I excluded?

*  Columbus arrived in America in 1492 and more specifically on 12 October.  Is
this general kowledge in the US? If so, what about:

*   Columbus arrived in America in 1492 and more specifically on 12 October at
14:00  (fictitious).

*   Columbus arrived in America in 1492 and more specifically on 12 October at
14:00 and saw a three dead whales floating in the sea (fictitious)

When do we start using references in these cases?  I assume very few Americans
would know about the whales, but what about American history lecturers who see
this as general knowledge among themselves?

In South Africa we have a system of external examiners for thesis and
dissertations.  In most cases at least one (sometimes all) of them must be from
an international university.  They see the thesis/dissertation for the first
time when they receive it.  In many cases these external examiners focus more
on correct referencing, list of references and other technical aspects, rather
than the content, often postponing the students’ graduation.  Not to mention
the obsession (fetish?) with the different academic systems of reference
(Harvard, APA, Oxford, Vancouver, MLA, etc) --- of which there are a few
thousand.

Please say you understand my frustration! ☺

Dap

[UFS Logo]

Dap Louw
Extraordinary Professor: Psychology
Buitengewone Professor: Sielkunde
Faculty / Fakulteit: The Humanities / Geesteswetenskappe
PO Box / Posbus 339, Bloemfontein 9300, Republic of South Africa / Republiek
van Suid-Afrika
[http://apps.ufs.ac.za/emailsignature/siteimages/icon_tel.jpg]27(0)43 841 1193
[http://apps.ufs.ac.za/emailsignature/siteimages/icon_cel.jpg]27(0)83 391 8331
[http://apps.ufs.ac.za/emailsignature/siteimages/icon_mail.jpg]lou...@ufs.ac.za
[http://apps.ufs.ac.za/emailsignature/siteimages/icon_facebook.png]<http://www.facebook.com/home.php#%21/pages/University-of-the-Free-State/175257709184139>[http://apps.ufs.ac.za/emailsignature/siteimages/icon_twitter.png]<http://twitter.com/#%21/UFSweb>[http://apps.ufs.ac.za/emailsignature/siteimages/icon_youtube.png]<http://www.youtube.com/UFSWeb>

[http://apps.ufs.ac.za/emailsignature/siteimages/inspire.jpg]

[http://apps.ufs.ac.za/emailsignature/siteimages/inspireer.jpg]

University of the Free State: This message and its contents are subject to a
disclaimer.
Please refer to  http://www.ufs.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.

Universiteit van die Vrystaat:
Hierdie boodskap en sy inhoud is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule onderhewig.
Volledige besonderhede is by http://www.ufs.ac.za/vrywaring  beskikbaar.