If you make people’s livelihoods dependent on their meeting certain benchmarks
in measures of what they are doing, then they will do everything they can to
ensure that they meet those benchmarks (even at the expense of the things that
are supposedly being measured).

Consider as parallel case: Why do our own students often complain that their
grade is not high enough, but almost never that they did not learn enough?
Because the grades trump the actual learning in getting scholarships and
awards, in graduating, and in going on to the graduate school of their choice.

The Chinese government insists on scientists attaining certain measures of
eminence — # publications, # citations, impact factors, etc. So their
scientists (understanding that no legitimate scientist can guarantee in advance
that their research will succeed — that’s why we do the research, after all)
have figured out ways to ensure that the metrics turn out the “right" way even
if the science doesn’t.

Also, keep in mind that China has nearly 4.5 times the population of the US,
and, soon enough, will have 4.5 times the number of scientists as well. (So the
raw number of cases of fraud may be higher in China, but the rate of fraud may
not be that much higher.)

The Chinese government sees itself as involved in a “race” for dominance with
the US and EU (should the EU continue to exist). Once it has pulled ahead in
that race, as is all but inevitable, and is the dominant world power in science
(among many other spheres of activity), the Chinese gov't may well ease off on
its more mechanistic demands of its scientists, allowing them to show their
true brilliance in more authentically innovative work.

How do you think the US gov’t will respond to falling behind the Chinese in
science? Will it demanding even more forcefully that its scientists attain
certain benchmarks in the metrics? Will scientists’ very jobs be at stake every
few years, from research cycle to research cycle? How do you think many US
scientists would respond to that situation?  (And remember, a lot of the US’s
most successful scientists — many of the Nobel winners, for instance —
immigrated here from elsewhere. Do you think they will continue to come here in
such droves once China has become the world’s dominant scientific power?

A few unsettling thoughts for your Monday morning.
Chris
…..
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Canada
43.773895°, -79.503670°

chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo
orcid.org/0000-0002-6027-6709
………………………………...

On Oct 14, 2017, at 5:59 PM, Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu> wrote:

> We can all hope that the Chinese continue to engage in unethical research
> conduct.  See:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/world/asia/china-science-fraud-scandals.html?emc=edit_th_20171014&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=389166
>
> Clearly, there is a failure in the Chinese system that produces this degree
> of bad science.  Unfortunately, the failure of teaching critical thinking to
> U.S. citizens furls the anti-intellectualism and anti-science attitudes that
> is now not only prevalent among citizens but now also at the highest levels
> of U.S. government.  What is going to happen when China fixes its
> scientific research system -- will all of the smart U.S. students interested
> in science go there for education and research?
>
> Things that make you go hmmmm.....
>
> -Mike Palij
> New York University
> m...@nyu.edu