This theory goes way back to the 1950's and yes, there is physiological
evidence for excess of dopamine as well as deficiencies of GABA.  But the
question that is rarely asked is when did such chemicals occur?  As much
as we all know about brain plasticity, we should realize that early
experience can play a role.  And sure enough, children raised in a highly
stressful environment also reveal excess amounts of dopamine.  So, a far
more logical question is if chemical balances do exist, when were they
first noted and how related are they to early experiences?

I have provided an attachment that provides abstracts of studies that
demonstrate 1) chemical imbalances in those with schizophrenia; 2)
chemical
imbalances in children raised in stressful environments; and, 3) the cost
of attributing mental disorders to brain chemical imbalances.

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu

> Student asked what it was that lead to the dopamine hypothesis regarding
> schizophrenia. How did anyone get to the idea of too much dopamine? AND is
> there ANY type of physiological evidence for that?
>
> Annette
>
> Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
> Professor, Psychological Sciences
> University of San Diego