Richard, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Is Tivo helping you
out at all? It sounds like the expander is a flaky product. Can you
send it all back and just get a Tivo HD XL? Or how about this
aftermarket Tivo HD upgrade:
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-hd-tcd652160.php

Good luck,
Tom


--- In [email protected], "kush1" <ku...@...> wrote:
>
> I am pretty much at wits end with the HD Tivo and their DVR Expander
> (produced by Western Digital).
> 
> I have been through 3 DVR Expanders, 4 E-SATA cables and 2 HD TIVO
> units. Except for a short period when things worked ok (after which
> everything locked up until the DVR Expander was removed) I have not
> been able to get the HD TIVO to setup the DVR Expander.
> 
> Here is the typical scenario:
> 1. I hook up the DVR Expander as per TIVO instructions and plug in the
> HD TIVO .
> 2. It goes through its normal boot-up process and I get to TIVO Central.
> 3. The TIVO indicates there is an external device attached and asks if
> I want to have it set-up. I say "yes".
> 4. The Tivo comes back and says the external device is unsupported and
> it cannot set it up.
> 
> I have tried multiple DVR Expanders, e-sata cables and HD TIVO units.
> I have tried using alternate wall outlets. I have tried moving the HD
> TIVO unit and DVR Expander away from other electronic units. I have
> tried booting up the TIVO multiple times in succession, hoping it
> would work eventually. I have tried using the TIVO and Expander with a
> different TV in an different room.
> 
> In all cases I see the same "unsupported device" message.
> 
> Other than this problem, both HD TIVO units appears to function
> perfectly. I have run the hard drive S.M.A.R.T. test full sequence on
> the my newest TIVO unit and everything passes. Of course, since the
> TIVO unit won't set-up the DVR Expander it can't run the tests on that
> unit. I just requested yet another RMA from Western Digital to try a
> fourth DVR Expander unit.
> 
> Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
> 
> Richard
>


Reply via email to