Hi Jeremy,

In regard to your question of how fast two wired Tivo's are:  I do  
frequently transfer shows between my Tivo's:  the HD one gets all the  
cable channels and the Tivo Series 2 ony gets over the air broadcast  
channels.  We transfer shows at least once or twice a week and we can  
watch the shows in real-time with no delay. I use the downstairs  
mainly while exercising so I don't bother skipping the commercials so  
I'm not sure how fast the buffer builds up.  My kids occasionally  
watch their Nik and Disney shows down there - most are 30 minutes  
long and they can usually skip past the commercials.

Thanks for the insight on wired are full duplex -  I guess I'm glad I  
had our house wired.

Regards,

Jay
On Feb 15, 2009, at 9:04 AM, Jeremy Sullivan wrote:

> I have a wireless TiVo, a wired TiVo, and a wired PC. I don't use  
> TiVo ToGo anymore, but I sometimes copy files between TiVos. If I  
> tune my wireless TiVo to an unused channel and put it in standby,  
> then tune my wired TiVo to an unused channel and copy a show, it  
> *almost* copies a highest quality show fast enough for me to watch  
> in real-time. I let it go for 5-15 minutes depending on the show  
> length and then start watching it so I have enough in the buffer to  
> skip commercials.
>
> One question that I'm not sure that we ever answered is how fast  
> two wired clients are over a wired and a wireless client. You would  
> think that it would be faster since wired is so much faster than  
> wireless, but because the TiVo hardware itself is more of a  
> bottleneck other than your network (duplex aside) you actually may  
> not benefit from using wired all around. I never got around to  
> testing this to answer for myself because I don't especially feel  
> like running an Ethernet cable through my attic if I don't have to.  
> IIRC there are some very significant speed gains to be had if hack  
> your TiVo to use gigabit Ethernet with jumbo frames enabled but  
> that's pretty hardcore.
>
> Hopefully that makes sense and I didn't leave anything out.



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to