I have a program that maintains a simple, on-the-fly database using a dictionary. The user can see what is going on with it by brining up a toplevel with a Text() widget. Checkbuttons and Entry fields are used to display the state of the items in the database (see picture).

www.passcal.nmt.edu/~bob/unlinked/images/showdb.tiff

The EN, AE, BR, etc. "flags" are the Checkbuttons and to the right of each TP, TO and ST label is an Entry field. Each line is one seismic recording instrument which this program talks to. From this 'form' the user can manually make changes to the state of each instrument by just clicking the flags or entering stuff in the fields. The problem is when there are hundreds of instruments it starts to take a long time to open the form and fill it all in, scroll the form, and close the form and destroy all of those widgets. Is there a faster way? Would putting all of this on a Canvas be faster? I'd try it, but it would take a bit of messing just to do the experiment -- only to find out it's not faster, plus I'm not looking forward to counting pixels to get everything to line up. This late-summer we will have an experiment with a few thousand instruments, so I'm lookin' for a solution. :)

Thanks!

Bob