On 12/18/10 8:57 AM, pyt...@bdurham.com wrote:
Craf,

I find a tool Tkinter extremely cool and functional, which I am discovering
little by little every day.

Same here!!! I share your enthusiasm for this tool and I'm on a similar
path of discovery (hence all my posts on this mailing list<g>). BTW:
Another good resource for Tkinter help and code snippets is
stackoverflow.com. Search on 'tkinter' or 'ttk'.

Agreed. I am a big advocate of Tkinter (and Tk).

One question that comes to me, is why very few people work with this tool?
I think there's still a perception that Tkinter is ugly and outdated, and advocates of other toolkits are quite loud in attacking Tkinter, for whatever reason. Tkinter developers, on the other hand, just tend to go about their work. See Frederick Lundh, for instance.

My impression is that many, many, many more people use Tkinter than post
on this mailing list :)

Also true.

I've read where Guido (inventor of Python) has stated that Tkinter is by
far the most popular GUI framework for Python and the number of Tkinter
developers could number in the hundreds of thousands.

Tkinter was the first toolkit for Python, and hence the one that got installed. Back in the 1990s Tk was a revolutionary way to create GUI's for its simplicity and power. Compared to the other systems at the time, such as Motif, it was orders of magnitude easier and faster.

With support for tile (ttk) now available in Python 2.7 and 3.1, I
believe Tkinter is on par with its "competitors" in the Python GUI
framework world such as wxPython, pyQt, and pyGUI. Sure, these other
frameworks may have more widgets, but how many of these extra widgets
are required (or actually get used) in real business applications (even
applications where eye candy is preferred)?

In general, I'd say you're right.

I believe that most of eye candy requirements can be met with standard
ttk (and tk) widgets, high quality icon sets, and reasonable choices for
colors, fonts, and padding.

Yup.

In addition to the benefits mentioned by Michael Lange (reliability,
stability and quick coding), I would also add ease of deployment as a
(business) critical benefit. Tkinter is bundled with all common Python
distributions, so its a deployment detail one doesn't need to worry
about. Tkinter apps can also be easily "frozen" (at least under Windows
where my experience lies). Alternative Python GUI frameworks are often
quite difficult to deploy, add significantly to the deployment footprint
of an application, and are a major source of support issues.

wxPython and PyQt are (reportedly) both pretty easy to install and/or freeze on Windows, but I might be wrong here.

Anyone know of companies that use in their development.

AwarePro.com (a startup where I work<g>).

See my website for another example.

--Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer