Hi Lynn,

Thus spoketh Lynn Oliver <rayco...@gmail.com>
unto us on Fri, 15 Jul 2011 13:24:14 -0700:

> Thanks for finding that thread.  Reading the release notes, it seems
> that this change went into 8.5.8, but even building with 8.5.10 I don't
> see the change on either WinXP or Win7.

Ok, so I did some further investigation ;)

The patch as suggested in the comp.lang.tcl thread suggests to change the
lines

    bInfo.ulFlags = BIF_EDITBOX | BIF_STATUSTEXT | BIF_RETURNFSANCESTORS
            | BIF_VALIDATE;

in tkWinDialog.c into

    bInfo.ulFlags = BIF_EDITBOX | BIF_STATUSTEXT | BIF_RETURNFSANCESTORS
            | BIF_VALIDATE | BIF_USENEWUI;

Now I tried and downloaded the sources of both tk-8.5.6 and tk-8.5.10 and
compared the relevant sections of tkWinDialog.c . In 8.5.6 I found, as
expeceted, the first version of these lines.

Now the change they made in 8.5.10 actually looks like:

    bInfo.ulFlags = BIF_EDITBOX | BIF_STATUSTEXT | BIF_RETURNFSANCESTORS
        | BIF_VALIDATE | BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE;

So I guess that maybe winxp needs  BIF_USENEWUI instead, just as you and
Jeff on c.l.t. suggested? I don't know anything about this, so I can just
guess that  BIF_NEWDIALOGSTYLE might work for win7 but not for winxp ?

So I suggest that, if possible, you might change this line in the sources,
recompile tk and in case it works file a bug report to the tk developers.

Regards

Michael

Humans do claim a great deal for that particular emotion (love).
                -- Spock, "The Lights of Zetar", stardate 5725.6