On 10/18/2011 12:15 PM, Bob Greschke wrote:

On Oct 18, 2011, at 00:19, Greg Ewing wrote:

Bob Greschke wrote:
2.7 being close to e. I should have known the "natural" log would
be involved somehow, even though most tomatoes these days are far
from natural.

Resemblance to e probably doesn't have much to do with it -- more
likely your formula is just preventing the overall brightness of
the colour from getting too low, thus avoiding brown.

Another way to approach this might be to do the interpolation in
HSB space, varying the hue angle from red to green while keeping
the brightness constant, and then convert to RGB.

-- Greg

Oh, agreed.  That sounds like a better way to do this, but for a
quick and dirty approach I messed for quite a while with just red and
green rates and tossed in several different if-statements to mess
with things here an there, but then just threw all of that out and
tried the **2.7 and it all of a sudden was pretty close to what I had
in mind.  I've since altered it to start with a bit of red

R = 65+(190-int((Pct**2.718)*190.0)) G = int(Pct*255.0)

It still spends a little too much time in a tanish-orangeish area for
my taste, but it's good enough for this exercise.  I wouldn't dismiss
e too quickly.  It pops up in some weird places.

Now I'm wondering about being able to calculate things like going
from dark green through to white for land elevations, and the colors
of the rainbow in the right order, light blue to dark blue for water
depths (that one is easy), etc.  I'll have to look into this when I
get some time.

Thanks!

Bob

Although this is pretty off-topic for the Tkinter mailing list, I look forward to seeing where this leads you, so do please make your results available.

Also, if anyone has first-principle arguments or equations, that would be interesting.

(Off-list I would also like some pointers on the strange places where e makes appearances.)

Thanks, and sorry for the additional noise,

-Doug

Douglas S. Blank, Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Computer Science, Bryn Mawr College
http://cs.brynmawr.edu/~dblank  (610)526-6501