On 5/14/14, 6:22 PM, Josef Eschgfaeller wrote:
Ned Deily wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the 3.1 version
is linked with Tk 8.4 and 3.3 is with Tk 8.5.

Yes. I find this with tkinter.Tcl().eval('info patchlevel')
which gives 8.4.19 and 8.5.15.

the Apple-supplied system Tcl/Tk 8.5

I installed today Python 3.4. But some time
ago I installed ActiveTcl 8.6, which in the
Frameworks directory is also Current.

If I understand you correctly, you have Python 3.1 which is linked with Tk 8.4, and you have just installed Python 3.4, which is linked with Tk 8.5, and you see a difference in the fonts?

The most likely reason for this is that Tk 8.4 is built on the deprecated Carbon framework, which uses a deprecated font engine called ATUSI. The version of Tk 8.5 that you are using is built on the Cocoa framework, which uses the modern CoreText font rendering engine.

I'm not sure of all the low-level differences between CoreText and ATUSI, but there may very well be some subtle differences in how they look.

I was also going to ask if you are running on a Retina Display, which can affect text rendering, but that may not be relevant here.

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin/Mobile Code by Kevin