On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 6:42 PM, Dan Brown <dbr...@certicom.com> wrote:

> Even so, there's an argument from Koblitz and Menezes that special curves
> (e.g. binary curves) may survive some wider collapse. I think it's a weak
> argument, but for those for whom supporting more curves is easy, it could
> justify supporting a diversity of curves.

Others are pushing FFDHE in the event of some ECC disaster. I'm not really
a fan of that either (all these things add attack surface in addition to
being "backups"), but if we're going to keep a little used thing around in
our pocket just in case of an ECC disaster, why do we need backup curves in
addition to FFDHE?

--
Tony Arcieri