>> TLS-pwd already supports both of these. It also supports ECC too,
>> which is problematic with the current SRP protocol.

>In the language of the CFRG draft, TLS-pwd is “balanced” where SRP is
“augmented”,
>so they’re not really equivalent, correct?

Correct.

>This is possible, but you’d need to have the client and server negotiate
based on
>what they have.  For example, if the server has a SRP verifier from the
current
>protocol, but the client has a stored PBKDF2 hash of the password for that
server,
>they cannot communicate and would need to pick a different cipher suite.  I
am not
>sure how you can do this without revealing the existence of an account
under some
>circumstances.  So this might be a situation where fewer protocol options
is better.

Of course both sides have to agree on  common protocol details: You could do
this by specifying that you want to use PAKE and refine in an extension a
set of schemes that you are capable of.
I think there are many flavors out there that may be beneficial in specific
use-cases. I envision that e.g. in the context of the IoT with very
constrained devices (specific) PAKE schemes might be helpful. Having an
ExtensionType & corresponding CipherSuites for each of them would be way too
much.

Best,

Jörn