The current draft permits the use of SHA-1 in the certificate chain,
which gives SHA-1 a free pass indefinitely. Since we expressly forbid
the use of SHA-1 for signing in TLS itself, we can just permit clients
to include it in "signature_algorithms" and use that to determine
whether SHA-1 is acceptable.

That means that clients that want to disable SHA-1 (real soon now, we
promise), can signal that preference cleanly.

I've opened PR #317 for this, but the commit is probably more useful
to review, since I built this on top of ekr's client authentication
changes (to avoid messy rebases):

https://github.com/martinthomson/tls13-spec/commit/354475cf02819a9cc808457f2c09fdaeb1f82aa5