On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 03:49:02AM +0000, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:

> > It is far from clear that the privacy gains anything in the form of
> > practical protection.  Having looked at it, I'm unconvinced.  And I've been
> > a privacy/crypto advocate for a very very long time.
>
> I resolve DNS through Tor and so in that case, my TLS connections
> often exit over a different circuit. My TLS connection would not
> otherwise leak the host I'm requesting if the protocol had a way to
> protect that data. It doesn't. The protocol leak is the problem.

The most compelling argument for SNI encryption I took away from
this thread the cheap opportunity for blocking traffic based on
cleartext SNI.  Of course SNI encryption can't help if the destination
IP address supports one or a very few related domains, but it could
help otherwise.

Of course nation-states willing to play hardball will work-around
the problem, but they are doing that even without encrypted SNI.

[ Those of you on the crypto list will have seen the announcement
  about Kazakhstan mandating a national security certificate which
  must be installed on all customer devices that use the Internet... ]

--
        Viktor.