On 12/6/15, Peter Gutmann <pgut...@cs.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> Jacob Appelbaum <ja...@appelbaum.net> writes:

>>> Why are they out of scope?
>>
>>They are out of scope for the TLS working group as far as I understand the
>>organization of the IETF in terms of mandate. Am I incorrect?
>
> They're out of scope in that TLS can't impose behaviour on DNS, but they're
> not out of scope when it comes to considering what impact DNS has on TLS.

Of course. Thankfully there is work to fix DNS by... using TLS!

> For
> example the whole reason why TLS has certificates is because the TLS (well,
> SSL then) folks realised that DNS wasn't secure, and that TLS had to deal
> with
> that issue.  Otherwise, the SSL folks could have just said that DNS issues
> are
> out of scope, and we'll wait for DNSSEC to appear at some point and fix
> things
> (this is speaking from a 1995 time frame).

Hopefully someday, we'll have the DNS security problem solved. Until
then, I look forward to the TLS working group to not making name
privacy _harder_ to implement. The great irony of DNS potentially
using TLS for privacy is... oh, so much for that strategy.

>>Or they could just call MinimaLT or CurveCP with mandatory Elligator TLS
>> 1.3
>>and be done with it.
>
> That would probably be an easier process than the current one, provided
> you're
> ready to commit completely to the Bernstein monoculture.

I admit, I'm biased here. I'd rather have a monoculture of security
than polyculture of insecurely designed by commitee.

All the best,
Jacob