On 27 January 2016 at 12:58, David Benjamin <david...@chromium.org> wrote:
> If the server needs to send a CertificateRequest (i.e. the client
> mispredicted the 0-RTT Certificate/CertificateVerify) but otherwise has a
> 0-RTT hit, have it reject 0-RTT altogether. The 0-RTT is already all but
> useless because the first authenticated byte of the response is delayed to
> t=1.5. We should just say that 0-RTT accept + CertificateRequest is
> forbidden.

I believe that is a choice that an implementation could make, rather
than have a stipulation in a spec.  You are free to simplify in your
implementation as much as you like.

Refusing 0-RTT and delaying the "completion" of a handshake if you
find that you need to send a CertificateRequest (either because you
don't have 0-RTT client auth or the 0-RTT client auth is
bad/indecipherable) is a pretty good choice.  I might even be happy to
recommend it to others.  But do you have a security property you are
looking to preserve?  Because otherwise, I think that I might take the
optimization.