On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Wan-Teh Chang <w...@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 6:11 AM, Sean Turner <s...@sn3rd.com> wrote:
> >
> > There also seems to be (rougher) consensus not to support 0-RTT via DHE
> > (i.e., semi-static DHE) in TLS 1.3 at this time leaving the only 0-RTT
> mode
> > as PSK. The security properties of PSK-based 0-RTT and DHE-based 0-RTT
> > are almost identical, but 0-RTT PSK has better performance properties and
> > is simpler to specify and implement. Note that this does not permanently
> > preclude supporting DHE-based 0-RTT in a future extension, but it would
> > not be in the initial TLS 1.3 RFC.
>
> This will remove a feature from the QUIC protocol, so I'd be
> interested in hearing the QUIC team's opinion.

I agree that this would be valuable.

Since DHE-based 0-RTT is already specified in the TLS 1.3 draft, I'm
> not sure if "simplier to specify" should be an important factor.
> However, "simpler to implement" is an important consideration. I am
> curious to know how we concluded that 0-RTT PSK is simpler to
> implement. Did anyone implement both 0-RTT modes and can compare the
> difficulties?

We have a prototype 0-RTT PSK implementation and have looked at but not yet
implemented 0-RTT DHE in NSS. Based on that, my sense is that the cost of
doing any 0-RTT is the bulk of the additional effort, but that if you have
PSK already, which you probably want for ordinary resumption, then the
incremental cost of 0-RTT with PSK is less than with DHE.

As for 0-RTT PSK having better performance, that comes at the cost of
> a previous full handshake with the server.

Yes, this is correct. However, that's the current design of 0-RTT DHE in
TLS 1.3 as well.

> Also, TLS 1.3 clients that
> want to do 0-RTT PSK across an application shutdown will need to deal
> with the harder problem of storing PSKs persistently.

Yes, that's the major delta.

-Ekr