On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 3:29 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thom...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/pull/437
>
> In short, have the client report the time since it received the
> configuration.  Then have the server reject early data if the time
> doesn't match.
>
> I think that this is a relatively easy change to make.  Now, your
> exposure to replay is much less.
>
> It's not ironclad, since the server needs to account for a round trip,
> but I think that would could probably get the window down to
> single-digit seconds.

It's likely I'm misunderstanding, but I'll ask to clear it up. Does this
proposal imply that a 0RTT section can only be sent within a very tight
time limit of when the server provided a resumption ticket/configuration?
If so - is that really useful? over that kind of time length, wouldn't it
be especially beneficial to simply keep the original connection open for a
bit longer? I thought that an intent of 0RTT is that it can save time even
when you're connecting to a server maybe hours (days?) after you originally
did.

Separately; is there a mechanism to prevent an attacker from changing the
elapsed time value?

--
Colm