On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:49 PM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Hugo Krawczyk <h...@ee.technion.ac.il>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Sean Turner <s...@sn3rd.com> wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> To make sure we’ve got a clear way forward coming out of our BA
>>> sessions, we need to make sure there’s consensus on a couple of outstanding
>>> issues.  So...
>>>
>>> There also seems to be (rougher) consensus not to support 0-RTT via DHE
>>> (i.e., semi-static DHE) in TLS 1.3 at this time leaving the only 0-RTT mode
>>> as PSK. The security properties of PSK-based 0-RTT and DHE-based 0-RTT are
>>> almost identical,
>>

>> ​I am not offering an opinion about what the WG should decide regarding
>> keeping
>> DHE-based 0-RTT in the base TLS 1.3 document, but just wanted to note
>> that the
>> above claim "The security properties of PSK-based 0-RTT and DHE-based
>> 0-RTT are
>> almost identical" is not quite right (nothing I say here is new, I just
>> felt
>> that I had to "object" to this statement as written).
>>
>> There are some significant differences - in some cases even "fundamental
>> differences" - between keeping secret state (in the PSK case) and keeping
>> non-secret state (in the DHE case) or even not keeping state at all (in
>> the
>> DHE case) and retrieving the server key g^s from some external source
>> (with
>> integrity but not secrecy).  In addition, using DHE 0-RTT would require
>> the
>> client to send a key share g^x leading to a PFS 1-RTT exchange while with
>> PSK
>> it may be "tempting" to omit PFS.
>>

> The current plan of record is to allow the server to specify which cipher
> suites it is
> willing to accept, so it could refuse this

​I was just wondering if this is what will happen in practice.
But I should have separated this consideration (and the next) from the more
fundamental point of public vs secret state.

> Moreover,  if the server's configuration
>> key g^s is refreshed often (say each 5 minutes) then the g^xs key used by
>> the
>> client to protect its 0-RTT data already has some good level of forward
>> secrecy (the attacker has a 5 minute window to find s and after that
>> forward
>> security is guaranteed).  The latter point touches on an important aspect
>> which is the key management complexity of ticket encryption/decryption
>> keys
>> (as needed in the PSK case) vs managing secret DH key s (in the DHE
>> case).
>> I am not sure what would be done better (more secure) in practice.
>>

> Can you expand on the difference here? Say that the server implements
> tickets
> by storing a DH private key and then encrypting the ticket under the
> corresponding
> public key. How does this provide different PFS properties?

​It doesn't. And you don't need a public key for this. If the server
rotates the ticket encrypting key ​

​often (say each 5 minutes as in the example) then you get the same effect.
The point was about which case, g^s or symmetric ticket encryption key will
be managed better in practice. I don't have an answer.

Hugo