The way I read the first draft, the wording made it sound like "nonce" was
a contraction of the words "(N)umber used (once)". I thought I learned
something. Then I looked it up, and unfortunately, that is not the case, as
cute as it would be.

That is the problem with the wording. Even if a nonce is number that is
only used once, the word is not derived from omitting letters from the
phrase, so we shouldn't mislead people into believing that. Removing the
scare quotes is sufficient to prevent this misunderstanding.