I strongly support this proposal.

Best,
Xiaoyin

From: Dave Garrett<mailto:davemgarr...@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, June 3, 2016 12:17
To: tls@ietf.org<mailto:tls@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [TLS] no fallbacks please [was: Downgrade protection, fallbacks,
and server time]

Allrighty then; time to dust off and rebase an old changeset I was fiddling
with last year on this topic:
https://github.com/davegarrett/tls13-spec/commit/058ff1518508b094b8c9f1bd4096be9393f20076
(I cleaned up a bit when rebasing, but it probably needs some work; was just a
WIP branch, never a PR)

This was the result of prior discussions on-list about TLS version intolerance.
The gist of the proposal:
1) Freeze all the various version number fields.
2) Send a list of all supported versions in an extension. (version IDs
converted to 16-bit ints instead of 8-bit pairs)
3) Use short (1 or 2 value, based on hello version) predefined lists for hellos
from old clients not sending the extension.
4) Compare lists to find highest overlap, avoiding guesswork or problems with
noncontinuous lists.
5) Forget the old mess of version intolerance existed.

Do we want to consider scrapping the old version negotiation method again?

Dave