I'm not sure I follow why the additional "generation" machinery is
necessary.

What do we gain from having the server to tell us to discard a ticket
beyond what the ticket lifetime already gives? This doesn't seem an
effective way to discard key material since, unlike the ticket lifetime, we
need a live connection to the server at the time. Beyond that, if a client
uses a ticket the server no longer likes, we'll just fall back to a full
handshake. That seems fine.

I would favor simply saying the client SHOULD prefer to use more recent
tickets over earlier ones (since that's probably a good idea) and that
clients which expect to open multiple concurrent connections SHOULD retain
a window of several one-use tickets. We can always add this generation
thing back in later as a TicketExtension if we change our minds.

Am I missing something?

David