On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 7:29 PM Watson Ladd <watsonbl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think we can use name constraints here. Yes, they are opt-in
> and clients can indicate support, but it may well be that a TLS
> implementation doesn't know if its X509 validation code will support
> them as it hands the certificate to a system provided validator. (I
> believe there was a longstanding Chrome on Windows XP bug for a
> similar reason).

What are you referring to? I think one would know well enough whether our
validators support a given feature. If there's weird cases, one can always
decline to advertise if unsure.

If you're thinking ECDSA and Chrome/XP, I believe it only got reflected in
the cipher list and not sigalgs, but that's just because we never routed
that bit through, not because we didn't know if we could do ECDSA. (And by
now it's irrelevant since Chrome/XP is no longer supported.)

David