On Friday, September 02, 2016 07:32:06 am Eric Rescorla wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 3:42 AM, Ilari Liusvaara <ilariliusva...@welho.com>
> wrote:
> > I also don't see why this should be in TLS 1.3 spec, instead of being
> > its own spec (I looked up how much process BS it would be to get the
> > needed registrations: informative RFC would do).
>
> I also am not following why we need to do this now. The reason we defined
> SHA-2 in
> a new RFC was because (a) SHA-1 was looking weak and (b) we had to make
> significant
> changes to TLS to allow the use of SHA-2. This does not seem to be that case.

I don't think we strictly _need_ to do this now, however I think it's a good
idea given that we'll need to do it eventually and we can do it now and get
people to consider implementing it more easily as part of a larger spec than
later as a subsequent standalone. Doing it now gives it far greater visibility
and should be relatively simple and quick to do.

Dave