Hello,

Cloudflare's current (not definitive) plan for 0-RTT is essentially to
decide whether or not to answer to requests in the 0.5 flight on a
case-by-case basis. That obviously requires reading all of them and
caching the ones we don't want to answer.

To mitigate the obvious DoS concern we plan to use the ticket age and a
per-machine replay cache.

However, chatting with Drew (cc'd) we realized that clients could still
send huge amounts of 0-RTT data that we would have to buffer. Once a
client sent early data, there's no way to accept only a part of it or to
verify that the client is not replaying before reading it all. But if we
were to close the connection after a given amount of data we risk
failing connections from legal clients.

I propose to add a field max_early_data_size to TicketEarlyDataInfo, to
inform clients about the maximum amount of 0-RTT data they are allowed
to send, allowing servers to safely terminate connections that exceed
it.

https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/pull/674

[Please keep me in the CC of replies]