> On 01 Mar 2017, at 13:18, Dang, Quynh (Fed) <quynh.d...@nist.gov> wrote:
>

> From: Aaron Zauner <a...@azet.org>
> Date: Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 8:11 AM
> To: 'Quynh' <quynh.d...@nist.gov>
> Cc: Sean Turner <s...@sn3rd.com>, "<tls@ietf.org>" <tls@ietf.org>, IRTF CFRG
> <c...@irtf.org>
> Subject: Re: [Cfrg] Closing out tls1.3 "Limits on key usage" PRs (#765/#769).
>

>>> On 25 Feb 2017, at 14:28, Dang, Quynh (Fed) <quynh.d...@nist.gov> wrote:
>>> Hi Sean, Joe, Eric and all,
>>> I would like to address my thoughts/suggestions on 2 issues in option a.
>>> 1) The data limit should be addressed in term of blocks, not records. When
>>> the record size is not the full size, some user might not know what to do.
>>> When the record size is 1 block, the limit of 2^24.5 blocks (records) is
>>> way too low unnecessarily for the margin of 2^-60.  In that case, 2^34.5
>>> 1-block records is the limit which still achieves the margin of 2^-60.
>>
>> I respectfully disagree. TLS deals in records not in blocks, so in the end
>> any semantic change here will just confuse implementors, which isn't a good
>> idea in my opinion.
>
> Over the discussion of the PRs, the preference was blocks.

I don't see a clear preference. I see Brian Smith suggested switching to blocks
to be more precise in a PR. But in general it seems to me that "Option A" was
preferred in this thread anyhow - so these PRs aren't relevant? I'm not sure
that text on key-usage limits in blocks in a spec that fundamentally deals in
records is less confusing, quite the opposite (at least to me). As I pointed
out earlier: I strongly recommend that any changes to the spec are as clear als
possible to engineers (non-crypto/math people) -- e.g. why the spec is suddenly
dealing in blocks instead of records et cetera. Again; I really don't see any
reason to change text here - to me all suggested changes are even more
confusing.

Aaron