Joseph Birr-Pixton <jpix...@gmail.com> writes:

>With the greatest of respect, mbedtls *doesn't* implement
>max_fragment_length[1], because it doesn't fragment handshake messages as
>required by the spec. Attempts to use it with a conforming peer will fail to
>handshake.

What's the largest handshake message it sends?  I would assume that for at
least the larger fragment sizes it'd be OK, because no handshake message would
get large enough to require fragmentation.

Incidentally, has anyone else who's implemented this dealt in the weird
omission of 8K by using the logical value 5 that follows 1, 2, 3, 4 for 512,
1K, 2K, and 4K?  In many cases 8K is just what you need, it halves memory
consumption while being large enough to not have to worry about fragmenting
handshake messages.

Peter.