On Apr 6, 2017 4:08 AM, "Fries, Steffen" <steffen.fr...@siemens.com> wrote:

You  are right, I did not take that option into account. But as you
mentioned, it is non-standard and with the desire is to be interoperable as
most as possible, proprietary enhancements are likely not to be favored.

>From a security standards perspective, interoperability by-default is
expressly *undesirable* for this mode of operation. We want this to break
for anyone who hasn't gone through the trouble of explicitly opting-in.

This seems to be a perfect case for the "allow registration of code points,
but do not standardize or recommend" approach: the mechanism is possible to
implement in a way that respects IANA namespacing by those parties with
special needs requiring it, but the risk that someone will accidentally
implement it in a stack used in end-user software is minimal.

Kyle