I read through draft-rescorla-tls-subcerts-01 and I ran into some basic
questions.

I have been wondering why the TLS server operator obtains an end-entity
certificate from a CA (which cannot be used to sign further
certificates) instead of running an intermediate CA him-/herself
instead. This would work without requiring any changes to the client
side. The proposed solution, although technically feasible, will
unfortunately take a long time to deploy since it requires cooperation
from clients, servers, and also from CAs.

What is also not clear to my why some of the certificate management
protocols, which provide the necessary level of automation, cannot be
used with CAs to request short-lived certificates.

Ciao
Hannes