On 14 July 2017 at 01:08, Kathleen Moriarty
<kathleen.moriarty.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds like for malware, we could do something to better document
> your security options as well as monitoring.  While the documentation
> is there for key pinning and trust anchors, this might not be obvious
> to network managers - what RFC to look at and how they fit together.

Just an aside, though I think Kathleen already made this point:  If I
were writing malware, I would use TLS.  It's pretty good at what it
does and it's hard to distinguish from legitimate uses (there are some
trick's suggested by McGrew's research on this point).

At the point that I have sufficient control over a host that I can run
my software, then I would pin certificates and the best you could do
is block me.  None of the advice about configuration of trust anchors
(pinning, overrides, etc...) helps at that point.

Most discussions regarding breaking TLS focus on the breaking of TLS
to *prevent* malware from infesting machines.  There at least the
defender has a reason to attack end-to-end security.  But then we're
talking about a very different deployment model than the gazillion
emails recently have contemplated.