On 18/07/17 18:34, Watson Ladd wrote:

    I understand the logics but, since LURK boxes don’t scale, the
    cost to cover your entire footprint for the sporadic cases when
    the CA is down might be a bit prohibitive.

CA reliability is not good.

From my own experience, I agree that CA reliability is "not good". However if I'm using short-term certs with say, a 7 day validity, and (per draft-ietf-acme-star) the next certificate is issued halfway through this period, it means that the CA has to to be unavailable for all of 3.5 days for the failure to affect the delegated site. That's a lot, even for a CA.

On the other hand the LURK signing box (though managed by the same organization, which is a clear benefit) needs to be available at the same level of the delegated site - 99.99% of the time or whatever your standard is.

Thanks,
    Yaron