To be honest, I’m rather surprised that this group continues to spend time
on this. I’m of the opinion that the chairs should step in and put this
discussion on hold until the work on TLS 1.3 is complete. This, and any
document of the same goal, are eating up time and energy that should be
directed to completing the work this group was chartered to do. There’s no
indication that there will be any consensus on moving forward with any such
document in this group, and I don’t think that will change any time soon.

Those advocating for some standardized method of subverting the security
properties of TLS have been offered numerous options in good faith, and
continue to reject them all. I’m aware of extremely large enterprises that
in fact require TLS 1.2 with PFS, as they made the investment in addressing
this issue early on, and do so effectively. This can be solved without
changes to the protocol or a standardized “backdoor” - and is being done
today by at least some enterprises.

I understand that this complicates the work that some do, and will mean
additional engineering or spending to deal with it, when they eventually
move to TLS 1.3; that said, I don’t think their decision to take the easy
route in traffic inspection and ignore the evolution of 1.3 till the last
moment should lead to adding new risk to every other TLS user, especially
those that invested in long term solutions that deal with these changes.

I’m of the opinion that this discussion is no longer productive; there’s no
indication that there will be consensus on this or similar documents, good
faith efforts have been made to offer alternatives - in multiple
discussions, it’s distracting from the work of completing 1.3. To me, the
most logical thing to do is move on, finish the work on 1.3, and then
reevaluate (not that I expect consensus to emerge then either).

--

--*Adam Caudill*
http://adamcaudill.com