On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 05:05:37PM -0800, Colm MacCárthaigh wrote:

> But I do think the question
> is worth having an answer for. I think we *do* need to prepare for turning
> off AES, there's always a chance we might have to.

Even nastier dependency: SHA-2. If that breaks, currently both TLS 1.2
and 1.3 break. There are no alternatives defined.

Yes, sure SHA-2 has taken a lot of cryptoanalysis without serious
trouble (I think one reason for starting SHA-3 process was preceived
weakness in SHA-2, that later turned out not to be the case).

-Ilari