On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 11:08:21AM -0600, Bret Jordan wrote:
> From a discussion on the PATIENT list found here:
> https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/patient/current/msg00078.html
> <https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/patient/current/msg00078.html>
>

> From my personal perspective, we need to be careful with all of these
> efforts. It feels like the pendulum has swung so far to one side, the side of
> privacy-at-any-cost, that we are unknowingly increasing the risk to
> individuals and organizations by enabling threat actors and intrusions sets
> to attack networks and clients without any level of protection from the
> network.

BCP 61 leads us to not expect any protection from the network, does it not?

> It also feels like a lot of these initiatives are being done without
> adequately involving and ensuring that enterprise networks and critical
> infrastructure can work with these changes. Question, do we know how these
> ideas and changes are going to impact an organizations ability to fulfill
> their requirements for regulatory compliance?
>
> If we continue down these paths, then I fear networks will be required to
> wrap all traffic in some other less secure protocol, outright deny some of
> these protocols, or be forced to fully proxy all traffic or take an approach
> that Google has done with their BeyondCorp design.

I suspect you will find that many proponents of the proposals you find
worrisome would also be enthusiastic proponents of "an approach similar to what
Google has done with BeyondCorp".  Such a discussion would be off-topic for
the TLS list, but you would probably be well-served to have some supporting text
for why this sort of approach should be considered bad, if you want to gain
sympathy for your perspective.

-Ben