On 8/21/18 at 7:24 AM, stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie (Stephen Farrell) wrote:

I agree. Quoting the meat of the abstract of RFC8446:

TLS allows client/server applications to communicate
over the Internet in a way that is designed to prevent eavesdropping,
tampering, and message forgery.

I spent some time thinking about integrity protected, authenticated, replay resistant protocols during the late 1990s as the crypto wars were running hot and heavy. I decided the problem wasn't as simple as the fully encrypted protocols of which TLS is an example.

A number of people have concerns about building connections with no secrecy, even when secrecy is desired by the endpoints, either because of specification errors or because of downgrade attacks. I share those concerns, and would be willing to consider a protocol that uses entirely different packet identifiers from those used by TLS as a way to reduce this problem.

I do think that the TLS working group is well qualified to analyse the design of such a protocol.

Cheers - Bill