Wow! That's a bizarre one. I don't think we've run into this one before,
but, from your description, any given implementation would only have a
1/256 chance of hitting it on every ClientHello change.

10 is a newline, so perhaps some implementation is doing a terrible job
detecting TLS vs. some plaintext protocol. No idea about 14. (This kind of
broken and unsound protocol-guessing behavior appears to be sadly common.
Some buggy middlebox started misidentifying our ClientHellos as SIP when we
removed the pre-standard ChaCha20 cipher suites!)

Do you have an example server? It would be good to get the problematic
implementation fixed.

David