Yeah, so this looks very much like the IKE mechanism (the draft even says so)

In IKE the reason for this is to detect NAT because IPsec does not traverse
NAT. We need to detect the NAT so as to choose an IPsec variant that traverses
NAT.  If the server (or IKE Responder) lies, you might use the NAT Traversing
method when it’s not required, or if the server is really good at lying, you
might not use NAT Traversal when you should.

With the proposed TLS extension, I would like to see a better analysis for what
happens if the server lies.  What happens if the client uses the answer to do
geolocation?  We can easily take this to a “gay kid in Uganda” scenario.

But I think the more interesting question is why do it at this layer?  Why not
use some web service such as the API version of https://www.whatismyip.com
<https://www.whatismyip.com/> ?  The answer is a property of the device, not to
the socket.  We might as well have the device figure this out.

Yoav